Re: Welding ... kinda long but I got carried away

To: <BlueGolfer@aol.com>, <Timothy.P.Ronak@akzo-nobel.com>, <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Welding ... kinda long but I got carried away
From: "Chris Hill" <Pirouette@uisreno.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 01:18:52 -0800
Punsfluckett, Throttlebottom, Snead and Purvey have advised me to disavow any
recommendation of welding techniques not approved by OSHA, whoever they are.
    I did want to note that I am very leary of eye exposure in welding.
Someone here spoke of using a '9' lens for .023 wire, which does make it
easier, but I'd still never go less than '10'.  My helmet is modified with
leather duct taped to the bottom and side edges so that I CAN safely look away
(I still close my eyes) without closing the visor, but still only for little
tap bursts.
    I was tempted by the automatic lenses, but, the 'window' of vulnerability
before they shade is (if I remember correctly) 1/100th of a sec.  That means
in essence that for every 100 welds (not a lot with a rusty or wrecked car)
you've looked directly into the arc unshielded for a full second.  Not good.
And that's if you believe it's really 1/100th of a second.
    I don't understand, with all the wireless technology around, why someone
hasn't produced something that would key off the trigger and shade 1/100th
BEFORE the arc started.  Now that I'd buy.

                       Chris Hill