Re: Dipstick and tube

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dipstick and tube
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:38:57 -0700
Ummm, Dave?

- MkII's came with the 6 bolt 289.
-What is 'cast iron aluminum'?
-No disrespect, but if you read it in Bill Carroll's book, that doesn't
mean a thing. According to BC's book, my Tiger was never produced, and
last time I checked it was definitely still sitting in my garage.

- What the dip stick reads as 'okay' is all dependent on how long the
tube is, and where the oil pump pickup is. The Canton oil pan under my
supposedly non-existent Tiger's engine  is deeper than stock, and has a
correspondingly longer pickup tube. If I were to fill it to where the
stock dipstick said 'full' was, I'd first of all be putting in about 12
quarts, and secondly it would negate all the advantage of a deep-sump
oil pan.

The best way to determine your dipstick's suitability is to take a piece
of welding rod and stick it down the dipstick hole until it hits the
bottom of the oil pan. Mark the point where the rod enters the dipstick
tube, then pull it out and compare its length to the dipstick. Taking
into account the angle that the dipstick sits at, you can figure out
what the height of the oil in the pan would be at the 'full' mark on the
stick, and if that height is above where the dropped part of the sump
ends, it's way too high. You could also compare that height to how high
four quarts of oil would fill the sump (measure the sump's length and
width, etc.). Any significant difference means that you should probably
re-mark the dipstick, or try to find one that's more suitable.

Theo