RE: Hood airflow

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hood airflow
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:17:15 -0800
I recall a number of years ago that one of the car mag's did an article on
hood scoop placement. They made a simple pressure indicator with about 6
feet of clear flexible tubing (I'm guessing about 3/8"-1/2" ID.). The tubing
was mounted in various locations on the car (one at a time) and run into the
passenger compartment. About a foot of the tubing was bent into  a U-shape,
mounted on a board and filled about half way with water. While driving the
car the pressure would built up and the water would rise. I'm not sure if
there was any value placed on a given amount of rise, but it could still
function as a matter of comparision from one area to the next. It would be
reasonable to think that it might also work to indicate a vacuum if mounted
in reverse. This might be of some help in finding those exhaust fume inlets
as well. Tom Witt B9470101