Re: Hood airflow

To: Veeseeoso@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hood airflow
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 10:51:35 +1100
Veeseeoso@aol.com wrote:

> I read somewhere Carroll Shelby found that reversing the hood scoop on the
> Mustang based GT350 (placing the scoop opening toward the windshield)
> resulted in positive fresh air flow into the carb at speed. It worked great
> but looked stupid, so he placed it facing forward.

Peter Brock Commodores in the 1980's used rear facing scoops to supply cold air
to their Quadrajets.
http://www.uq.net.au/~zznweber/commodore/hdt/vh/hdt-vh-gp3-main.html

The scoop was complemented by a 'cold air tray' which fitted under the air
filter
and sealed against the bonnet (hood), thus excluding hot engine bay air.  Later,
the scoop was dropped and cold air sourced from just under the leading edge of
the hood, in front of and above the radiator.  These systems reputed to be worth
up to extra 9% power.

Vic