RE: Steering column nightmare

To: "Rose, Mark" <mrose@ou.edu>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Steering column nightmare
From: "Chris Thompson" <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:04:05 -0500
Don't give up based upon insured value  - find what it will truly cost you
to replace it.  Challenge 'em to find you one at a better price, and to get
it to you right away.

Once we shipped two laptops for repair and only one arrived upon return.  We
complained to the carrier numerous times, each time with them asserting that
we were wrong and trying to cheat them.  Eventually they called admitting
that a driver confessed to stealing the one, and reimbursed far greater than
the insured value.  That same carrier once shipped a bunch of computers from
themselves to themselves and only half of them showed up - also stolen by
their own drivers.  Not UPS, but one just like 'em.  Maybe a UPS driver
recognized the column as just what he needed for his Tiger project?

I got hit by a UPS driver a couple of years ago. Their insurance company is,
as I recall, Liberty Mutual.  It took several calls, but with persistence
they paid in full with no quibbling - a $6,000 bill at the best body shop in
town.

I have built computer systems for FedEX, UPS, Airborne, and other shipping
companies so I know a little bit about how they work.  Ignore insured value.
If you go down in an airplane due to the airlines fault, it's not up to you
to have the insurance, it's up to the carrier.  Same with UPS.  Their
insurance will cover you for their screw-ups.  If they say it is a packaging
problem, then go to the packaging store and leave it in their lap.  Persist,
and you will get paid what you need to replace the column.  Make sure that
you really have all your costs covered - there's no reason for you to be out
of pocket for their mistakes.

Hope this helps, Mark....

Chris