Re: Replacement Tiger Gas Cap.

To: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>
Subject: Re: Replacement Tiger Gas Cap.
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:47:55 -0800
Gas caps, phillips screws, rivets, which is correct?

Almost all of them.

The cap lower half is indeed held to captive nuts by phillips head screws.

The problem end of restoring one, it the lid portion, with the spring
loaded pressure relief and the World War I surplus English Navy cork
seal. This assembly is held to the flip-out cap portion by peening lid
studs over the sheet metal legs of this unit.

The challenge being, once the rotted gasket is replaced with some
reasonable neoprene sheet material, is reattachment to the lid.

Any helpful suggestions out there for those suffering from leaky seals
due to bad cork.

(I think the British Navy commandeered their cork from captured French
merchant vessels supplying the wine industry)

Steve Laifman
Editor
<http://www.TigersUnited.com>