Re: LAT 9

To: Chris Thompson <cthompson@rrinc.com>
Subject: Re: LAT 9
From: SJC Worldwide <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:42:10 -0800
Chris Thompson wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it was on this list that hunter engineering systems was
> mentioned.  They have a search for local folks who use their system on their
> web page http://www.gsp9700.com/
>
> As I recall the discussion, their devices can balance the unbalancable.  I
> live about 200 miles from the middle of nowhere, and there were about 10
> shops within 50 miles of me that had their devices.  Make sure the mechanic
> is really trained on it, was the advice I recall - someone had to go back
> and get the manager to redo it or something to that effect but in the end
> the results were remarkable, though I recall the discussion to be related to
> LAT 70s - which also have a balancing problem....
>
> Chris
>
> <snip>
>
> Listeners,
> I've been looking for someone to strobe balance my LAT 9's.<snip>

Chris:
That is correct. I think I started the recent discussion a few months ago. I had
posted the list about problems balancing my LAT 70s (I had three different shops
try to do it with no success, including having them strobe balanced on the car,
and electronically balanced off the car...nothing worked and I got severe
steering wheel bumping over 65-70MPH). Someone from the list (sorry, but I don't
remember who to give credit to) suggested I find a shop with the Hunter 9700
balancer. I did (in Burbank, California for me), and they were able to
completely solve the problem. Even with that, however, it took two trips to the
shop to get it done right. The first time one of the shop "helpers" did the job
and, while better, didn't solve it. The second time, the shop manager, who said
you have to know how to use the machine, did it and got it right on. I've had it
upwards of 100MPH since and the steering wheel is very smooth, even with my
front Spax shocks set pretty tight..

When you find the Hunter 9700, make sure that each wheel is balanced to "0"
tolerance.....the machine gives an exact LED readout as to balance forces and if
you have tricky wheels like LAT70s or LAT9s, any variation from that seems to be
magnified into severe wheel bouncing. If you read the Hunter web site, it even
says, with "lug centric" wheels like we have, for them to use an attachment on
the Hunter machine that simulates how the wheels sit on the car. They didn't
have to use that for my Tiger, but might have to for the LAT9s if they're harder
to balance. Hunter realises that on marginal wheels like ours, even the
slightest variable can cause trouble. Anyway, it was well worth the effort to
me.

Steve Sage
1967MK1A