Missing

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Missing
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 1994 18:44:23 -0500
Folks,
        Another wierd problem.  I drove all the way and back across Florida
Friday.
About 330 miles.  On the way back I started having problems.  I could accelerate
fine, say from 55 to 80 or 90 when passing a car or truck, but when I let off
the motor would miss as if I were running out of gas.  The missing would
occur for
about a mile or 2 before it smoothed out.   The Tack, an after market
AutoMeter, appeared to hold dead steady at the RPM I was at, but I could see
some
variation in the Amp Gauge when the missing occured.  I tried this several times
and the Tiger was very consistant in the missing.  i.e. Accelerate OK and
then have
missing as I dropped down back to around 72 MPH, my crusing speed.  I filled my
fuel cell In Tampa, so I was no where near running out of gas.  I can hear
the fuel
pump running and noticed no difference in the normal sound.  The Tiger ran
perfect
on the way West at up to 95 MPH for a few passing blasts, just not good on
the way back.
The missing seemed to be mostly at around 2700 rpm.

        What I am running: 351C 4 barrel 1970 closed chamber heads.  Flat
top pistons,
Slightly hotter Crane cam, Crane High Intensity lifters ( igh leakdown knock
off of Roade
Lifters,  Harland Sharp roller rockers, 21 Gallon Fuel cell,  Holly Red fuel
pump,
AN fittings and #8 SS braded fuel lines feeding into a 3/8" ID fuel line.
A late model fuel filter with 3/8" I/O can (designed for fuel injection
pressure)
near the carb. A 650 double pumper Holly on an Edelbrock 4 barrel Cleveland
intake
manafold. C4  automatic transmission and still have 2.88 gears with 23560-15
tires
on the rear.  An MSD 6AL,Stock late model magnetic Ford Distributor with a
conversion
to the big Blue distributor Cap and fairly new Plug wires provide the spark.

        No sign of a gas leak anywhere.  Air Filter is not completely clean.
Highest temperature on the trip was about 90 to 95 degrees C.  ( About 1/8" to
3/16" past the 85 degree C mark on my temperature gauge.  Coolent OK and full
when I got back. Oil at proper level.

        Plan to replace the fuel filter first,, in case it is clogged; however
I do not think this will help, as the Fuel cell is fairly new.

James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others