Re: Missing

To: "Duncan Charlton \(Texas\)" <charlton@ev1.net>
Subject: Re: Missing
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:05:13 -0500
At 11:36 AM 3/11/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>James,
>Have you checked to see if the breaker plate in your distributor is still
>grounded?  Running electronic ignition?  -- my Unilite distributor had
>wiring that came very close to the "shutter" wheel and the wiring's
>insulation became chafed.
>The list seems pretty quiet on this one.
>Duncan
        The Ford distributor uses a Magnetic pickup and the pickup
is not grounded via the "breaker plate".  However it is a good idea to check
the distributor for loose parts, worn wires and damaged rotor or cap.

        The hardest and most expensive troubleshooting I ever did was when my
Tiger would accelerate OK, but backfire at a constant speed, run good for
a ways, backfire again etc.  Even changed the $$ Heads assuming I had a
bad valve.  Turned out the pot metal stop inside the vacuum advance had
broken off and at a constant speed (i.e high vacuum) it advanced the
ignition beyond 45 degrees.  A backfire would cause the vacuum to drop
and then it ran OK for a little bit before the vacuum came up again.
Acceleration provided low vacuum, so vacuum advance retarded and it ran fine.
Replaced the broken pot metal stop with a 6-32 screw tapped in to the housing.
Beter check this again for luck.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others