Re: Water pump hub sizes

To: <DJoh797014@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Water pump hub sizes
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:40:51 -0700
See below
----- Original Message -----
From: <DJoh797014@aol.com>
To: <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Cc: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 8:21 PM

> Erich
>
> Look someplace else for your runout problem

Not necessary,  I can watch the water pump pulley rise and fall.
I can snug the bolts and tap the pulley with a rubber hammer to get it
running concentrically.
Note, the pulley does not wobble is runs eccentrically.

> Remember these are ordinary production engines.
> The water pump shaft is about 1 inch + or -
> and the pulley hub hole is 1 inch + or -.
> As long as the hub fits over the shaft you are
> OK.  The four bolts mounting the pulley to
> the water pump have more tolerance that
> what you list.
Correct,  the bolts do not provide any alignment.  That should be taken care
of by the hub projection and the center hole of the pulley.  The bolts just
keep things tight.

> Tighten the four bolts and run it.  If you get
> a vibration odds are its not a problem in
> the shaft or pulley.
I don't have a vibration problem,  My belt tension is just oscillating
because the pulley is not centered.

I would suspect the
> balance of the fan.  I've seen Tigers with
> loose pulleys that have over 100K and are
> running the original water pump.  Mine
> had 70K on the original pump and pulley
> until my son hit the light pole.
>
> Our cars are not swiss watches.  Things
> don't have to be perfect.
True, But they are a lot more accurate than cheap Red Chinese machine tools.

Erich