Re: rack & pinion for ackerman mods

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rack & pinion for ackerman mods
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:52:55 -0800
Arnie,
  I got the Midget rack out of a So. Cal. Pick A Part for $35. It is
from.... I think a '74 (it had those bulbous bumpers). The reason the pre 70
is prefered (so I'm told) is that Dale uses two internally half round pieces
(square on the outside) and clamps the rack to the crossmember and those
early racks are the diameter of the hole he makes (so I'm told - again) the
later racks are a different diameter.
  Having said that I have my crossmember out and just now pulled the Midget
rack out of the rafters. This is what I observed. The rack I have fits
properly between the Tiger rack mounts on the crossmember. There are raised
sections near each end of the rack itself, like this   ---I------------I---
, and there is about 1/8" clearance on the outside of the Tiger crossmember
rack mounts. The Midget clamp looks similar to a double bolt pipe clamp like
this (O====O) and the rough center to center measurement appears to be
2-1/8". The Tiger center to center appears to be 2-1/4". It would seem a
simple task to grind out the clamp holes an 1/8" on each side towards the
outside to line up with the Tiger rack mount holes.
It appears the greater difficulty seems to be supporting the rack on the
back side that seats against the Tiger crossmember rack mount location.
However, here again, simply using the stock Midget piece, it's side view
looks something like this     )==         , and grinding  down what is
represented by the right end of the equals sign, then welding a plate with
holes drilled to the Tigers 2-14" spacing should keep everything tightly in
place. Anyway, that's my budget adapter. If you go this route and find the
needed threaded hex pieces and treaded round stock (remember the proper
thread directions) please let me know. That is still the missing piece of
the puzzle for me.
Regards, Tom Witt B9470101