Re: Coil Failure?

To: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Coil Failure?
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 22:51:52 -0800
Theo Smit wrote:

>Having the car die, then run again after sitting for a bit, then die again,
>can happen if your
>fuel filter is being plugged by crap that gets sucked off the bottom of the
>filter can while the
>car is running, then drops back down when the fuel flow stops. I know you said
>your filter is
>good, but you might want to check it anyway.
>
>Isn't the Pertronix one of the ignitions that can leave the coil energized
>(i.e. primary current
>flowing through it) if you have the ignition on but the engine not running? In
>that case the
>coil will quickly become very hot and may cause an insulation failure inside
>the coil. I agree
>with the other poster that 10 ohms on the secondary is way low - it should be
>in the 1000's of
>ohms. If you can verify this resistance measurement then I'd suggest just
>putting another coil
>in there and see if it now runs properly.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Theo

Theo:
I will check my fuel filters tommorow, which I'm past due doing anyway.

As to the coil secondary, I mis-posted, since my multi-meter
abbreviates. What I should have posted was .9 ohms for the primary
circuit (it's supposed to be no more than .6, I think), and 10500 ohms
for the secondary circuit.

The other thing I need to do tommorow is to get the car nice and hot
again, and then test the coil. I tested it pretty cool yesterday, so
those readings may not be accurate when the car gets hot, which is when
I had the problem. In the meantime, I went out and bought a new coil
anyway but it will be interesting to compare results hot and cold on the
old one.

Steve Sage