RE: Desktop Dyno Fun

To: "'Frank Marrone'" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Subject: RE: Desktop Dyno Fun
From: "Scott Hutchinson" <shutchin@netjets.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 07:49:05 -0500
My 2 cents.

It may have to do with flame travel speed.  The larger cylinder bore
cannot propagate the flame as quickly as the small bore and therefore
efficiency falls off at higher rpm.  This is why more cylinders are
better.  You can get a larger overall displacement and still have small
burn areas.  It makes up for the pumping losses associated with more
friction creating equipment; connecting rods, bearings, pistons, etc..
I think honda tried to get around this problem by creating an oval
piston with multiple plugs.  Not sure if this is the right answer, could
be the software.

sh