Re: Coil Failure?

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coil Failure?
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:29:45 -0600
Steve:

I just now had a chance to catch up on my e-mail and found your post as well
as all the answers you have received so far.  While all are valid
possibilities, there has been one possiblity that has not yet been
mentioned.

I had this exact same problem with my Mk 1A some years ago and, like you,
sought help from the list.  Help came in the form of Tiger Tom, who didn't
actually solve my problem, but did encourage me to think "outside the box."
Once I got to that point, I found the problem straight away.

I, too, had replaced my coil, as well as condenser, rechecked point gap,
etc.; in other words, all of the normal things.  After conversing with Tiger
Tom, I began to trace down my wiring in the ignition system.  Believe it or
not, I found that one of the wires on the ballast resistor was loose in it's
non-factory female connector.  Rather than crimping the connector onto the
wire, the previous owner soldered the end of the wire to the connector (all
I can figure is that he must have gotten a soldering iron for Christmas, or
something, and was just looking for a place to use it...).  The solder spot
had come loose from the connector and, when the wire got hot, it would arc
up and away from the connector, thereby cutting the connection at the
ballast resistor.  The end result was a car that would unexplainably die
after it got warm and then start back up once it cooled off.  I was stuck on
the side of one of our highways in town when it left me the first time and,
having seen ballast resistors on other Tigers go out before, I thought that
might be the problem.  I knew I could fix that temporarily  by jumping the
ballast resistor.  I found a discarded aluminum pop can by the side of the
road and fashioned a jumper to connect the two ballast resistor wires
together and, by golly, it started up.  I thought I had found the problem at
that point; a faulty ballast resistor.  But my theory was short lived when
the car died once again on the way home.  I let it cool off again and
finally got it home and it was then that I discovered the lose wire.  After
fixing that, I have never had the problem again.

I hope this helps you somewhat in your search for the "cure" to your dying
Tiger.  I'll watch the net for your final diagnosis; I'll be interested in
hearing what it was.

Good luck,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE