Re: small repair question

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: small repair question
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 22:49:30 -0600
Hi Mark,

The PO's mechanic had replaced the nylon oil pressure gauge tubing on my Tiger
with 1/8" OD copper line, using compression fittings at each end to secure the
line to brass adapters - it's either 1/4" or 1/8" NPT at the block, I forget
which. When that piece of copper line snapped off at the block (partially due to
vibration, and partially due to being tightened too much, which pinches the
tubing off), I made a firewall bulkhead fitting by drilling a 5/8" bolt through
and threading both ends 1/8" NPT. The inside end of the bolt got a compression
fitting, the engine compartment end a #3 AN fitting, and a couple of large OD
washers and a nut holds the bolt in place in the original hole in the firewall.
I've still got the copper line running under the dash to the gauge, and in the
engine compartment it's #3 Earl's stainless braided teflon brake hose, going to
AN hose ends at the block and at the firewall. My reasoning for doing it this
way
is that now, if I need to get that hose out of the way for some reason, I can
just remove it entirely, without having to worry about tying it out of the way
or
kinking it accidentally.

As others have said, though, you can get direct replacement tubing from SS or
CAT.

Theo