Re: Side vents

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Side vents
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:51:00 -0700
Bob,
  From comments I have heard the vents on the LAT hoods provide little or no
difference in the underhood temps.
>From the TEAE site (http://www.teae.org/tech_tips/hot_air.html):
>>>Engine compartment venting: Idle or Interstate temp did not change with
LAT type fender well ports open or closed in a stock cooling system
configuration. Cooling effects of open or closed ports have not been
determined since increased airflow enhancements have been made. Contrary to
popular perceptions, our data indicates the Tiger's tight engine compartment
is not a major restriction to airflow through the radiator at idle or
interstate speeds.<<<

Thus, with your vents even lower (though I'm sure you would feel heat coming
out) I would think they would do little to cool the engine compartment.
Additionally, with the ducting you spoke of you would be radiating even more
heat into the usually "already too hot" driver's compartment. Remember there
is already a very large opening under the engine and a fan indirectly
pushing the air there as the Tiger came from the factory.
   I agree with you, the vents on the "E-bay car" are nicely done. However,
I think that what you would attempt to do would be a LOT of work for no real
effect under the hood, while creating a negative situation in the driver's
compartment. Regardless, if you like the look it is only you that can
ultimately decide. If cooling is the issue there are more significant
modifications that reqiure less work.
  Tom Witt B9470101