Re: Cooling System Acid Test

To: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Acid Test
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:31:11 -0700
I don't recall how much more flow the Edelbrock pump claims.  They did have
some graphs either in their catalog on online, that compared their pumps to
other "hi performance" pumps.  The pumps were flowing around 45 cfm at 5krpm
IIRC.
I read that article in the Cat notes a while back.  It made no sense then,
and it really makes no sense now, in light of my experiences.  I think you
are right on in your thinking,  slower flow means more chance for the water
in the block to heat up. The faster you push the water thru the system, the
more BTU's you can reject.  And getting rid of heat is the bottom line,
Temp is just how you keep score.

Now lets talk about thermostats for a moment.
I fooled around with one on the stove a few months ago.  I found that the
thermostat would start to open at the temp labeled on the thermostat.
It required about 15 degrees higher temp to reach full open
A 160 would crack at 160 and not be wide open until 175.
A 180 would not be wide open until 195.
So if your temp is in that window the thermostat is controlling flow rate to
keep temp in range.

Before I replaced the pump, I was using a 160 F thermostat. In easy driving
in the mornings the car would warm up and run right at 170 degrees. It was
stable and very consistent.  It could never really run less than 170.
After the pump was replaced, the car would run at 161 or 162 degrees under
the same conditions. What is going on?  My explanation is that the old pump
required the thermostat to be wider open to get enough flow to reach
equilibrium.   The new pump is capable of generating much more pressure and
hence flow.  The new pump could find equilibrium with the thermostat more
fully closed.  The new pump was pushing more water thru the system with the
thermostat more fully closed than the old pump was capable of doing.

I have learned that the Tiger requires a complete cooling system to keep its
cool.  All the pieces must work together.  I had all the mods that everybody
says are necessary for a cool cat, and I still overheated on the freeway.
Then I changed the pump and BANG, cool cat.  My experience does not match
the comments made in the TE/AE article on cooling. They found the water pump
was not a big player in cooling off a tiger.  That article is part of what
kept me from playing with the pump for a long time.  Maybe the pump that was
in my car was just worn out or defective in some way.  Maybe I could have
solved the problem with just a stock water pump replacement. I don't know.

Erich