Re: Cooling System Acid Test

To: Kathy and Erich Coiner <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Acid Test
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:05:16 -0600
Agreed, but the stock system pressure is 13 PSI (with the header tank connected
to the high-pressure side of the rad), and you can easily get 16 to 22 PSI caps
these days. Using one of these caps to fix a boilover/puking problem would add
quite a bit of stress to the heater tanks.
If one were to do as suggested by Stewart and move the header tank so it
connects to the outlet side of the rad, the nominal cooling system pressure (at
least before the rad cap lets go) will also be raised by whatever the pressure
drop across the rad is.
The Stewart suggestion makes sense to me, and a rearrangement of the radiator
plumbing might be in the future for my Tiger.

Theo