Re: Cooling System Acid Test

To: "Theodore V. Brown" <tbrown@midcoast.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling System Acid Test
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:54:35 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Theodore V. Brown" <tbrown@midcoast.com>
To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 8:40 AM

> Hello All:
> The positive results of using a high volume water pump are interesting for
it
> is very different from the results that were obtained in the cooling
system
> tests done by TEAE/Tiger Tom.  To quote "Water Pumps: Stock, High Vol
> Milodon, Stewart. We did not measure a significant cooling difference with
> any of the three pumps tested. However, we believe there may be an
> advantage at idle with the use of a high volume pump when combined with
> interactions of other cooling system enhancements."

That article is what made me change the water pump last.  When I put the
pump in, it was literally my last grasp at a straw.  If the pump had not
worked I was flat out of ideas.  I really did not expect much out of the
pump. But it has been like a miracle.

  I guess it shows
> that cooling problems are complicated and probably depend on the
> particular car involved.  I have a 260 with a 4-bbl and hipo cam and have
> had great success with my car by adding the Derale fan and horn block offs
> and leaving the rest stock.  It seems to me that the secret to adequate
> cooling with our cars is sufficient air flow as evidenced by the fact
that,
> for
> most cars, overheating occurs at idle and not when going down the road.
> If such is the case anything that will increase ambient air flow through
the
> radiator will have a positive effect.  At idle, of course, you already
have
> the
> slow coolant flow that some claim will improve things, so I can't imagine
> that
> slowing it down further will make it better, but I could be wrong.  In
> fact, I have
> observed that increasing the idle speed while at rest seems to lower the
temp.
> If the car is overheating while at speed, it would seem that other factors
> are
> involved and other solutions would have to be employed.  It may be that we
> are operating our cars near some sort of "break point" and that any change
> that tips the balance in the favor of better cooling produces a "cascade"
> effect (i.e. the system is non-linear) so that small changes have a large
> effect

The slow the flow for better cooling theory does not hold water  IMNSHO.
More flow is MO Bettah.  My cooling problem was unusual, I was overheating
at speed and not at idle.  For a car with no problem at speed, a water pump
may not help much at idle.

It is a system with many variable and the possiblility of many interactions.
It also does not help to have people throwing out theories that move people
in the wrong direction.
.