RE: Cooling System Acid Test

To: <VegasLegal@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cooling System Acid Test
From: "Derek White" <derekw@sltnet.lk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:46:37 +0500
Hi Bob,

The thermostat is supposed to keep the temperature at the optimum level
(there is more wear at lower engine temperatures.) It also serves as a
restriction in the flow to keep the radiator full (so if you remove it you
usually have to put in a restriction.) Heat transfer in the radiator depends
on temperature differential, surface area and the velocity of the fluids.
The thermostat slows down the coolant flow to heat up the engine and speeds
up the flow to cool the engine. Some restriction is needed in most engines
to keep the radiator full and some people eroneously interpret this as slow
flow = better cooling.

hope this helps. cheers, derek

Derek White
37/2 Buller's Lane