Re: water pump puzzler

To: jsloan798@earthlink.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: water pump puzzler
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:25:37 EDT
Scott,

I will risk getting in trouble and answer your interesting questions.

"Could someone explain how the thermostat makes the engine cool better? "

Answer:  A thermostat provides a restriction at the engine outlet which
allows the water pump to raise the coolant pressure within the engine while
it's
running. The higher pressure reduces the efficiency robbing cavitation of the
water pump and local boiling in constricted areas of the cooling passages.

"I just added one to mine and it seems to never open, since I cannot see
any water passing through my gano filter even after a 10 min drive. Temp
on the aftermarket gauge says 190 with my 180 thermostat. It seems as
though the gauge is reading higher than normal now, but the engine feels
just as hot and so is the radiator."

Answer: You should drive your car longer than 10 minutes before trying to
come to conclusions as to what's going on. If your engine is maintaining 190
degrees without going higher, than the thermostat is opening and water is
passing
through the thermostat.

" and that is also why it should make the engine run cooler because the water
spends more time in the radiator so it has a better chance to cool it. It
this correct? "

Answer: No, that is not correct! This is one of those myths that has been
kept alive by the Flat Earth Society as far as I can tell. For what reason, I
do
not know.

John Logan