RE: Alternator conversion

To: "'Theo Smit'" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>,
Subject: RE: Alternator conversion
From: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:43:43 -0300
Theo;

Great article. It looks like the alternator fits in there like it
should. I have a basket full of alternators to choose from, all in the
95 amp range. They are remarkably small for their output. I like the
high charging rate at idle rpm they produce. I also have a Bosch 65 amp
unit that is really tiny, and more than capable of handling the tiger's
needs.

Not much room on the left side for an alternator in my engine room, what
with the remote filter etc. So I guess I am a "right-side" guy this
time.

Some photos of your bracket would be great if you have time. I also
tried to access your Tiger webpage, but your ISP wouldn't let me in.
(:O(
Any chance for a peek?

Thanks for your input,

Cheers,

Dave

As Ron says, don't be afraid of diving in and doing your own bracket -
just
make sure that it's really rigid, because you've got a big hunk of metal
hanging off a reasonably long lever arm there. Since I've still got mine
out
of the car I can take some pictures of it if you like. It's made out of
1/8"
plate steel pieces, a 3/8" plate to mount to the head, and a piece of 1"
diameter bar stock for the alternator end of the mount.
<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/alternator.html>

If I did it again (and I plan to... Just have to find the time) I'll get
an
internal-fan alternator that is short enough to mount in front of the
head,
while maintaining the belt alignment. I grabbed a Mitsubishi alternator
on
my last trip to Pick your Part but it may be just a little too long to
do
the job. As I recall Tom Witt is using a Chevette alternator and he said
it
fits in front of the head. If you want to shift it over to the left bank
then you get an extra 3/4 inch right away, but then you have to be
careful
to dodge the steering stuff and you'll obscure the stock timing marks.

Best regards,
Theo Smit