RE: Alternator conversion

To: "'Ron Fraser'" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>, "'Dave Munroe'"
Subject: RE: Alternator conversion
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 08:13:28 -0600
As Ron says, don't be afraid of diving in and doing your own bracket - just
make sure that it's really rigid, because you've got a big hunk of metal
hanging off a reasonably long lever arm there. Since I've still got mine out
of the car I can take some pictures of it if you like. It's made out of 1/8"
plate steel pieces, a 3/8" plate to mount to the head, and a piece of 1"
diameter bar stock for the alternator end of the mount.
<http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/alternator/alternator.html>

If I did it again (and I plan to... Just have to find the time) I'll get an
internal-fan alternator that is short enough to mount in front of the head,
while maintaining the belt alignment. I grabbed a Mitsubishi alternator on
my last trip to Pick your Part but it may be just a little too long to do
the job. As I recall Tom Witt is using a Chevette alternator and he said it
fits in front of the head. If you want to shift it over to the left bank
then you get an extra 3/4 inch right away, but then you have to be careful
to dodge the steering stuff and you'll obscure the stock timing marks.

Best regards,
Theo Smit