Re: No Start!!! Battery Draw??? Help??

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: No Start!!! Battery Draw??? Help??
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:19:58 -0700
Scott,
>>>I traced it to one of the two brown wires on the solenoid, which is also
wired to the ignition switch, but should not be pulling volts, since the
wire is dangling from the dash.<<<
 If  I understand you correctly(?):
 Actually one of those brown wires from the solenoid to the Ign. switch
should have 12 volts all the time. This is where the 12 volts comes from
when the key is turned on to send it to the ignition, fuel pump etc..
Showing volts and drawing current are two different things. I would check
the battery connections, the brown wire and connector under the dash and
then all the white wires and connectors, the white/red wire to the solenoid
and the grounding of the solenoid itself.
 However, with the twisted switch, no starting and no fuel pump I would put
my money on the brown wire/connector being the problem. Try jumping a wire
from the battery side of the larger solenoid connection to where the brown
wire connects at the ignition switch and see if it works. If so, try
replacing the brown wire connector and re-hook it up. I that doesn't work
put the proper connectors on your jumper wire (wire should be the correct
gauge) and use that.

 Though not your specific problem might I add that with the Tiger wiring one
needs to be very careful. As an example in sorting out my dash lights (which
did work before rewiring) I found that certain lights would not come on AND
I was getting 12 volts at the ground! Because of the daisy chain ground I
failed to notice that though my gauges "appeared" to be grounded, in fact
some of them were out of the loop (which was my doing). And the 12 volts on
ground? Well....., the 12 volts comes into the bulb and then goes out the
bulb (into the black wire) looking for, but not finding the ground. Hence
the segment of black ground wire (at this time not actually grounded) was
showing 12 volts. Hours later I sorted it out and shamefully admitted I was
a victim of a simple, but confounding problem that I smuggly thought I knew
better than to be caught by.
Tom Witt B9470101