Re: Useless paranoia when I should just wait and see...

To: Frank Marrone <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Useless paranoia when I should just wait and see...
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:10:13 -0800
Frank,

When installing a new Holley 1848-1 (original LAT offering) with the LAT
F4B I was very worried about clearance.  I even had a LAT hood, which
(being fiberglass) is thicker by far.  I must have cut 3/16 to 1/4 inch
from the rear rubber bumper snubbers to accommodate the extra thickness
off the glass hood, lowering the inner surface.

When assembled I made two large (3 inch) loose balls of aluminum foil
and placed them on the air cleaner top at the sides.  This is the place
where the hood is lowest at the rear carb section, not the center.

I had carefully aligned the hood and gently lowered it until it came to
rest on the rubber side bumpers.  When I opened it, there was about 3/8
to 1/2 inch of crushed aluminum foil balls left - CLEARANCE, even with
motor torque rock on motor mounts!!!  I think I had removed the motor
mount thick washer by that time, but not sure, as that was part of the
Canadian Ford clearance issue.

Lessons learned:

1)  You can do this with either a stock hood or even a thicker LAT hood
and not touch the hood with the air cleaner - PROVIDED you are still
using the stock AC air cleaner, and a similar to stock filter. I am
using the K&N oval filter that works fine, but larger breathing engines
could use more surface area (deeper).  Remember - the sides of the air
cleaner are the problem areas.

2) Sunbeam Specialties was carrying this filter.

3) Measure motor mount riser washer OD, ID and thickness, please.

Steve

--
-----

Steve Laifman