Chrysler & the Tiger

To: Tiger Group <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Chrysler & the Tiger
From: Rande Bellman <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:50:11 -0500
I think the urban myth that Chrysler lost interest in the Tiger because
their 273 motor couldn't be adapted should go the way of the myth about
the burly worker at Jensen who stood in the engine bay wielding a sledge
hammer.

Dave Brownell of Hemmings used to sell Sunbeams in Boston during Tiger
time, and he thinks the car just wasn't priced competitively. Keep in
mind that $3500 bought a pretty neat Mustang convertible, with top
loader and GT package(289 and front discs). It was only $500 more to
start looking at a Corvette. He thinks Chrysler wouldn't have cared less
about the motor if the car sold better. I know I've said this before,
but in less time than Rootes spent selling Tigers, Ford managed to find
homes for 1.2 million 'Stangs('65-'66). And 1967 was the end for two
other sports cars for the U.S. market. - Austin Healey 3000 and Shelby
Cobra 427. All of them would have to have been redesigned to meet
Federal safety guidlines starting for the 1968 model year. And, Chrysler
money men probably thought the sales didn't justify a redesigned Tiger.