Re: Radiator Overflow

To: ritacco0758@charter.net ("Ken Ritacco")
Subject: Re: Radiator Overflow
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:46:45 -0500
Ken said the magic work.  To be correct, the what you refer
to as the stock overflow tank, is not an overflow tank.  Its
a header tank (surge tank as Ken calls it) and plays a very
important part of the colling system.  The intrepid Rootes
engineers didn't put it there for no purpose.  Remember your
radiator has no header tank on top of the core like most
cars. The header tank allows one to put coolant into the
stock system.

Years gao I installed an extra stock washer bottle from
an Alpine as an Overflow tank.  I bent the mounting bracket
and mounted it under the header tank, supported by the
frame rail, and clear of the steering.  Then I replaced the
radiator cap with the return variety.  Worked great.  On
hot days whenI turned the engine off, I could see the washer
bottle being filled from the header tank.  Then as the
system cooled, the coolant was sucked back in.

QED.

Dave