RE: Limited Slip Diff

To: "'Leslie & Jim'" <jparent4@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Limited Slip Diff
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:01:28 -0800
Jim,

Barry can probably supply you with just about any of the available gear
ratios, I don't remember for sure (and I don't feel like looking it up) but
there is a 3.07, 3.31, 3.50, 4.11, 4.56, more?

You will need a pinion gear with the correct number of splines on the shaft
to work with the Tiger yoke (early style?).  Most of the new gear sets
available require that you also buy a compatible yoke, used gear sets can be
supplied that work with the Tiger yoke.  Very reputable and knowledgeable
folks warn that using a used gear set is asking for trouble.  It is very
difficult to match the existing wear pattern of the used gears in your rear
end housing.

I choose the 3.31:1 ratio.  This was based on a lot of performance analysis
and my personal experiences and preferences.  Some people on this list tried
to tell me I was crazy for going with 3:31s.  I find this to be kind of
funny and a little insulting at the same time.  Only you will know what
works for you and meets your needs and requirements.  Although I do not have
many miles on my car yet, so far I am quite pleased with the 3.31s.

I also choose to go with used gears, I lucked out because it turns out my
gears are quiet.  It has been pointed out that you basically sit on the rear
end in a Tiger so a noisy rear end is not a good thing.  Think seriously
about buying a new gear set.

I was told that some of the yokes that fit the new gear sets do not look the
same as the Tiger yoke.  In fact one person who mentioned this to me really
had something against the look of one of these alternative yokes.  I have no
first hand knowledge of this one way or the other.  If someone on the list
would like to comment on this that would be great.

Frank
B9471116