Re: Steering Rack Lubrication

To: "Dan Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>, "Tiger List"
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Lubrication
From: "Ken Ritacco" <ritacco0758@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 07:38:46 -0400
Dan I have a steering rack from an MG midget in my car right now as part of
Dale's Ackerman angle fix. The Midget rack also calls for 90 weight gear
oil, and even has what looks like a grease fitting from the factory. I
bought the rack on ebay and it was full of grease when I got it. I stripped
the rack down to clean and rebuild as much as possible and everything was in
good shape except  rack bushings which are wear points and need replacement
on occasion.
I spoke with tech support over at Moss Motors and a British chap told me to
use about 1/2 pint of  90 wt. gear oil and that the tie rod assembly ball
and socket joint needs the properties of oil for lubrication. He also said
that over time the grease would ruin the tie rod ends.
Like I said, the rack I found had grease in it and the tie rod ends were
fine, but I don't know how long the grease had been in it, although it
looked like awhile.
The other recommendation that Moss tech support had was to add a little
grease to the pinion assembly through the bottom cap.
What looks like a grease fitting on the MG rack is acually a oil fitting and
you are supposed to use a Tecalemit oiler to get oil into the rack.The
Tecalemit oilers can be found on ebay. Of course this will not help with the
Tiger steering rack as it does not have a provision for an oil fitting.
Ken Ritacco
B382001158