Re: Steering Rack Lubrication

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Rack Lubrication
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:27:29 -0700
   I'll take a guess. With grease such as used in a ball joint it is
replenished periodically through the zerk fitting (assuming proper
maintenance). With the grease in the rack as it works out of the outer
joints there is no direct replacement. I guess that if it was warm/hot
enough it might potentially flow into the joint assuming there is enough
grease present to do so (though my understanding is that is not the designed
purpose of  grease - to flow as such).
   With the 90 weight oil it will slosh and migrate (via steering/turning of
the car) not only onto the rack, but into the the joints as well.  That
being said there is nothing like experience and if owners have used grease
with acceptable results, well.... that speaks for itself.
  Perhaps the comment from the Tech. at Moss was just "protection" in a
world where people will sue anyone, for any reason. I did find it
interesting that he said to use grease where the oil would migrate. The
appliance parts store guy told me to never mix grease and oil (such as I had
done on the idler wheel in my wife's dryer).
Tom Witt