Re: The Greens want YOU to take the train!

To: SLaifman@socal.rr.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Greens want YOU to take the train!
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:49:57 EDT
Steve,
Thanks for the "greenie" article.  I can relate to it.  Recently I took a bus
over a route that takes 20-30 minutes in a car....it took 1 hour and 25
minutes to get me there....it was cheap though.  First bus ride in about 30
years.
 That did have some pretty smelly exhaust.
Trains.....The newly elected Democratic Party chairman and former Vermont
governor,  Howard Dean, thought that Vermont needed and would use a commuter
train.  He got one going, charged only one dollar per ride and still got very
few
riders.  The one and only route was losing 4 million per year. When the
experiment was finally called off, they calculated that they could have sent a
private limo for each of the people who rode each time and still come out
ahead;-)
So much for commuter trains in Vermont.
Mark L.