Re: heat at speed

To: Richard <rcsphx@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: heat at speed
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 09:52:17 -0700
Richard,

Your cooling fan, whether stock, electric, or both, only are effective
at low speeds - say below 30 mph.

At higher speeds the total flow coming through the radiator from road
speed far exceeds the mass flow of the fans.   That is why some cars
come with clutches that disengage the fan at speed, and it is good idea
to turn off the electric fan.  Thermostatically controlled fans are a
bad idea, anyway, as the sensor rubbing the radiator tubes can wear them
thin.

Fan drag actually interferes with air flow at speed.

210 F is not a bad temperature, and remember you are generating more
heat producing horsepower moving your car through the head wind, which
generates more heat.

Steve

--
___