Re: heat at speed

To: "Richard" <rcsphx@qwest.net>, "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heat at speed
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 17:56:44 -0700
Richard,

The first fact of Tiger life is
1. The cooling system is marginal. Especially a stock one.

Two things make it marginal.
1. Radiator size.  If you compare a  tiger core to any other car that uses a
Small Block Ford you will see that they are all 20 to 50 percent larger.
2.  Lousy air flow patterns through the radiator and engine compartment.
I have a fiberglass LAT hood on my Tiger. At 70 mph the corners of the hood
are flexed up almost an inch from the air pressure under the hood.  Just
reving the engine at a light will make the corners flex.  That air pressure
buildup restricts the amount of air the can flow through the radiator.

No lets discuss your temp readings.  I will assume that your system is
working and calibrated.  Others have told you why that assumption may not be
valid, so check it out.
Since you are not complaining about boiling over just inquiring about temp
reading differences , I think my assumption is valid.

What temp rating is your thermostat?  It most likely a 180 (what I use) or
160.
If it is either of these a temp reading around 200 means that the thermostat
is wide open. Once the stat is wide open the water temp will vary quickly
with any change in airflow or hp output.
My car does pretty much what yours does.  It sits at 195 in town or on the
road at 55-60.
The faster I go, the hotter it runs.  At 80 it runs about 220.  I know my
gage is accurate, I have compared it to a thermocouple mounted in the
radiator tank and an Infrared thermometer. They all agreed within 3 degrees
or so.

Erich