Re: UPDATE: Clutch slave cylinder over extending.

To: <garywinblad@comcast.net>, "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: UPDATE: Clutch slave cylinder over extending.
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 19:38:15 -0700
I'm thinking a lot of things.

1.  I understand the failure mode.  It was a fatigue failure of a 40 year
old part.  A part that is common to MILLIONS of Ford products. It is not a
failure I have ever heard discussed on Mustang or other Ford Internet fora.
I've owned an old Mustang for the past 30 years. I have never heard of this
failure before.   So a new part properly installed should be good for
another 40 years.  It will be someone else's problem then.

BTW. the stock system use rivet to hold the bracket, if yours had bolts, it
had been worked on previously

2. I have heard stories from people on this list describing problems and
failures of the hydraulic throwout bearing.  Enough to make me a bit leery.
When you combine that with the EXTREME difficulty in getting to a throwout
bearing on a Tiger. It makes me want to stay away.  I asked this list about
hydraulic throwout bearings a few months ago.  I could not get a sense that
these things are bullet proof.  The stock system works pretty good and it is
very accessible should it need repair.

That is my rationale, and I'm sticking to it.

Erich