RE: Headers

To: "'Tom Witt'" <wittsend@jps.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Headers
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:01:59 -0700
Tom,

Damn good question.  I have not done any real life dyno testing.  I do have
Performance Trends Engine Analyzer Pro.  This is a fairly sophisticated
engine simulation program, a big step up from "Desk Top Dyno".

I have run my engine using all the particulars for my build up and exhaust
system.  I went and reran it with everything the same except I used "log
type stock manifolds"  Instead of the specs I derived for the CAT headers.
This program assumes optimal jetting for the engine specs.  Here are the
results...

RPM     CAT Trouque             LOG Torque              CAT HP  LOG HP
2000            228                     213             86.7            81
2500            280                     258             133             123
3000            315                     294             180             168
3500            329                     312             219             208
4000            348                     327             265             249
4500            357                     335             306             287
5000            351                     331             335             315
5500            334                     316             350             331
6000            310                     296             354             339
6500            282                     272             349             337

With CAT headers        357 ft-lb @ 4500, 354 HP @6000
With Stock Log Manifolds   335 ft-lb @ 4500, 339 HP @ 6000

Only a gain of 22 ft-lb and 15 HP at the respective peaks.

The 22 ft-lb represents the max gain at any RPM (matched at 2500)  but the
max HP gain is 20 HP just below the peak at 5000.

Interesting, this is in general agreement with the findings you have
referenced.  Hmmmm...  Header Hype?  20-ish HP and torque improvement is
probably worth it, at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

Frank
B9471116