Re: Clutch Explosions and Bellhousings

To: "Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Explosions and Bellhousings
From: "Bob Hokanson" <tgrrr@peoplepc.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:13:16 -0800
You want stories?

I believe I dodged a bullet once with a clutch problem.  Was competing at an
autocross in Eugene, Or. when the starter fell off.  Inspection revealed one
ear broken off.  Got another from a parts house and after installation it
too, immediately failed with a severe engine vibration.  Found the Mcleod
clutch cover (pressure plate) had fractured near one of the mounting bolts
and under centrifugal force the cover had distorted enough to hit the
starter, breaking the ear off.
It was a fairly new clutch but McLeod refused to provide warranty relief in
any manner... last time I bought anything from them.  Bought a Hays and have
been abusing it beneath a Lakewood bellhousing for about 15 years now.

Years ago, when I told a fellow Tiger autocrosser (Steve Locke) some clutch
explosion stories, his eyes got really big and he complained about not
having a scattershield.  So at autocrosses from then on, whenever he got
close to the front of the run line and ready to go, I would remind him of
that big buzzsaw turning just inches from his right foot.  Not nice, I know,
but when you didn't drive any better than I did, you needed any
psychological advantage you could find.

Bob