RE: Exhaust

To: "'Peter Laurinaitis'" <laurin212@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Exhaust
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:38:38 -0600
Very briefly (and without giving any "you must do it this way"
recommendations) you should consider the following:
- Depending on which type and vintage of headers you get, the left-side
header will either run the #5 (front) primary very close to where the oil
filter (adapter) exits the block, or else it will run well away from there.
Pick the latter, to save yourself a lot of frustration, even if you're
currently running a stock remote filter or the Econoline right-angle
adapter.
- The original frame passthroughs were designed for 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" tubing.
I have 2" tubing run through there, but I flattened the tubes where they run
through the frame and there's about 1/8" clearance. Anything larger and you
will have to replace the passthroughs with ones designed for the larger
exhaust. There are several listers that have done this in good ways... See
tigersunited.com tech tips (I think...)
- Flowmasters have a very distinct sound, and if you like that sound then
you'll be happy with them. I have 40 series (dual chamber) 2" center-in,
center-out Flowmasters, and they fit well and sound good. I welded two 1/8"
x 1" (about 5" long with a Z-bend) mounting tabs onto the fronts of the
mufflers to hang them using the stock underbody hangers. However, the stock
hangers on a lot of Tigers are slowly ripping out of the floor... Get yours
fixed and/or reinforced if required before you get a new exhaust made up.
Larger pipe sizes get a LOT louder, so if you opt for 2-1/4" or larger
tubing then you may need to get triple chamber Flowmasters or a different
kind of muffler to keep the sound in check. An H-pipe will help. I'm
currently putting some polished resonator tips on as well... We'll see if
that makes any difference to the sound.

You can always get some great insight into performance tuning (where
performance really covers a broad spectrum of requirements) by searching the
web for articles written on any given topic by David Vizard or Carroll
Smith. The article won't tell you what brand of gear to get, but it will
tell you why some stuff works and why other parts don't.
http://superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/exhaust/0505phr_exh/

Good luck,
Theo