Re: Exhaust

To: "'Peter Laurinaitis'" <laurin212@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Exhaust
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:43:18 -0600
I was wrong about my Flowmasters. They're part number 942050, which are
the 3 chamber Delta Flow series. According to Flowmaster, "it is milder
than the 40 series mufflers on the outside of the vehicle and is
significantly quieter inside the vehicle, yet it still has the right
performance sound and feel". This would explain the apparent disconnect
between my review and Stephen and Curtis's - not that we should all
necessarily have the same opinion, but I don't think that my tolerance
for engine noise is completely out of whack with everyone else. As a
point of comparison, I previously had LAT-74 type (either original
Mitchells or a really close knockoff) straight-through mufflers on the
car and it's quieter with the Flowmasters.

So... it's still mostly a matter of finding someone that has the setup
you're thinking of and then getting a listen or ride in, to see if it's
what you want. You can also Google "muffler sound recording" or some
such phrase to find links like this:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/sounds/sounds.htm
where people post audio clips of their cars. Some sites have clips of
stock systems for comparison, and of course there will be much
variability between the quality of the different clips.

If someone has an audio clip of their Tiger and can describe how the
recording was made (i.e. at what distance, what the car was doing at the
time etc.) and also detail the exhaust construction (Pictures?) I can
put it up on TigersUnited.com as a general reference.

Theo