RE: Exhaust

To: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>,
Subject: RE: Exhaust
From: 65Tiger@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 04:38:10 +0000
I ran CAT headers, 2" exhaust, Flowmasters, H-pipe...
It was way too loud, I lived with it for 4 years and changed to Dynomax
muffler.
Much more pleasant, but I occasionally miss the loud part.  Heads turned,
gearheads came running, mothers grabbed their children and ran, got lots of
compliments.  Everyone should live way too loud once.

Curtis
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>

> Very briefly (and without giving any "you must do it this way"
> recommendations) you should consider the following:
> - Depending on which type and vintage of headers you get, the left-side
> header will either run the #5 (front) primary very close to where the oil
> filter (adapter) exits the block, or else it will run well away from there.
> Pick the latter, to save yourself a lot of frustration, even if you're
> currently running a stock remote filter or the Econoline right-angle
> adapter.
> - The original frame passthroughs were designed for 1-5/8" or 1-3/4" tubing.
> I have 2" tubing run through there, but I flattened the tubes where they run
> through the frame and there's about 1/8" clearance. Anything la rger and you
> will have to replace the passthroughs with ones designed for the larger
> exhaust. There are several listers that have done this in good ways... See
> tigersunited.com tech tips (I think...)
> - Flowmasters have a very distinct sound, and if you like that sound then
> you'll be happy with them. I have 40 series (dual chamber) 2" center-in,
> center-out Flowmasters, and they fit well and sound good. I welded two 1/8"
> x 1" (about 5" long with a Z-bend) mounting tabs onto the fronts of the
> mufflers to hang them using the stock underbody hangers. However, the stock
> hangers on a lot of Tigers are slowly ripping out of the floor... Get yours
> fixed and/or reinforced if required before you get a new exhaust made up.
> Larger pipe sizes get a LOT louder, so if you opt for 2-1/4" or larger
> tubing then you may need to get triple chamber Flowmasters or a different
> kind of muffl er to keep the sound in check. An H-pipe will help. I'm
> currently putting some polished resonator tips on as well... We'll see if
> that makes any difference to the sound.
>
> You can always get some great insight into performance tuning (where
> performance really covers a broad spectrum of requirements) by searching the
> web for articles written on any given topic by David Vizard or Carroll
> Smith. The article won't tell you what brand of gear to get, but it will
> tell you why some stuff works and why other parts don't.
> http://superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/exhaust/0505phr_exh/
>
> Good luck,
> Theo
I am curious to hear from others recommendations for headers, mufflers, and
general exhaust set ups.

Headers on CAT site?  Flowmasters?  Diameter tubing?

I like my Tiger to growl (but Tiger correct to the extent possible)...

Starting from close to zero knowledge on the topic.

Thanks!
Peter