Re: thirsty Tiger

To: Robert Bridgeford <bobbridgeford@msn.com>
Subject: Re: thirsty Tiger
From: David Sosna <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:36:55 -0700
Hi Bob:
Well, I definitely don't think I'm normal :-)
However.
I've got a 302 with a mild roller cam, an automatic transmission and
electronic ignition.  Have disc brakes on the rear, and I don't think
they're dragging.
Which leaves the distributor advance (thanks Ron!).
Might be time to re-check it.  I'm averaging 14 mpg per tankful.  Some
city, some highway.  When I've tried just measuring highway only, it
still seems to work out to about 14mpg, but I'm usually doing 70-75,
with lead-foot bursts up to.....well, let's not go there.
Point is, even with a slushbox and no kick-down, I love the way the
engine responds and I just can't seem to keep my foot out of it.
Remember too, that our Tigers have the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick.
Your 'Vette, besides having overdrive up the wazoo, was sculpted in a
wind tunnel, so it's probably not a good idea to compare
mileages--you'll drive yourself nuts (in my case, that's a short drive).
Oh, and speaking of distributor advance.  I finally figured out why I
was averaging 9 mpg last year.  Turns out there was a ball bearing
stuffed in the vacuum advance line.  I think it happened at Dyno Day
that year, because I don't remember doing ANYTHING like that on my own.
Mind you, it 's possible.  But unlikely. Anyway, going from no advance
to whatever I've currently got gave me a 50% improvement in fuel economy
(grin).
As I recall, Steve Laifman once mentioned something about having your
advance 'all in' by about 3500 rpm.  Steve, did I get that right?  If
not, you might want to jump in here.

Best Regards
David Sosna