Re: thirsty Tiger

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: thirsty Tiger
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 20:33:20 -0700
  I had a '64 Falcon (rebuilt) 260, auto trans (C-4) years ago when the
first gas crisis hit. I ran a tiny Holley 2bbl.that was smaller than the
stock Autolite. It had a shift kit so I know the rebuilt tranny wasn't
slipping. I ran 225-70-15" tires on the rear which were quite a jump up from
the stock A-78-13" (can you say overdrive via tire size). The speed limit
was 55MPH back then and I drove at 50 MPH on a long freeway trip and only
got a maximum of slightly less than 21 MPG. And yes, I compensated the
mileage accuracy for the tire size difference.
 Sometimes it's how the tank is filled. People often determine "Full" by the
nozzle shutting off (regardless of the pump they use) with no care given to
the incline of the car. The only accurate way is to fill the tank with a
funnel on level ground. Most don't take the time.
  On the other hand a trustworthy mechanic friend I know claimed to get 24
MPG going 70 MPH through the California desert in a 302 Torino. I'm on a
Mopar list and some of these guys claim 24 MPG in their Fifth Ave's. I have
a Valiant and struggle to get 15 MPG going 60 MPH. We all have 318's with
auto's. It is an unanswered mystery in that camp.  I guess it's like twin
sisters, one can be shy and timid the other boisterous and outgoing.
  Ron you have always been a straight up guy. I'm not contesting the
accuracy of your 29 MPG, but I was wondering how repeatable it has been.
Unfortunately for those guys like myself who always seem to be on the low
end repeatability is almost guaranteed.

Tom