Re: 220 voltage question

To: atwittsend@verizon.net, tigers@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: 220 voltage question
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:20:47 EDT
(or piping) from the compressor to the area where you need the air. I  am

Peter,
I have an industrial compressor and have three 100 foot sections of
compressor hose that I use from time to time.  I used an impact wrench way  out
in my
yard by hooking the sections together.  The quick connectors are  cheap...Hose
and connectors are much cheaper than buying wire.
To connect the compressor to the existing outlet you need to know a  few
things. Look at the label on the compressor and find the amperage  rating.
Make a
diagram of the existing outlet that is there (that you  mentioned).  The
outlets are built for different appliances....ranges,  clothes dryers, welders,
etc..  Each outlet is supposed to be matched to  the proper wire size.  The
outlet will have 3 or 4 holes  (slots)...some straight and some at an angle.
Anyway, bring the diagram and the compressor amp. rating  to  an electrical
supply store (not Home Depot) and ask them what amperage the  outlet serves and
then figure if it will carry what the compressor demands.  Hopefully, the
wire serving the outlet is the proper size.  If the amp. rating on the door
motor
is about the same as your  compressor, you might be okay.
  If you can put the compressor near the outlet buy 8 or 10  feet of the wire
size that the store recommends and buy a plug that will plug  into the
existing outlet.  You will be able to unplug the compressor in the  future.
Mark L.