Re: Water Pumps

To: Tiger List Serve <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Water Pumps
From: Randy Smith <RSSmithIQ@cs.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:35:08 -0400
We can sit around and debate thermodynamic theory all we want, but
personally I'm a pragmatist.  The proof is in what works and what
doesn't.  There is a lot of speculation about what effects the cooling
system in a Tiger.  I hear it all the time.  "I put on an Edelbrock
water pump and it solved my overheating problem".  But did it?  Or was
it the hose you happened to replace at the same time?  My point is, that
unless you do a very controlled test sequence, changing one component at
a time and testing thoroughly, it's all just speculation.

Rootes Review (The Tigers East/Alpines East Newsletter) just published a
great series of articles called "Cooling the Tiger" in the
January/February/March issues on the research of Chuck King and Tiger
Tom regarding this very problem.  The article is also on the TE/AE
website at http://www.teae.org/cooling/cooling_article.html.  I read the
articles with great interest and I learned a great deal.  They actually
tried different components and recorded real data. I was ready to buy
all sorts of stuff before I read this.  Now I have decided to simply
block the horn holes, build a bottom for the fan shroud, get a new 15"
fan and change the water pump pulley.  All very simple and inexpensive
things.

If you are having cooling problems, I urge you to spend 30 minutes
reading the article before you do anything else.  I will admit, that if
you have a high performance engine, you might need some additional
enhancements, but for most of us, this information helps take the guess
work out of solving our cooling problems.

-Randy
<http://www.teae.org/cooling/cooling_article.html>
--

Randy Smith