RE: Brake light switch

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake light switch
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:57:43 -0400
        I think we all have different experiences with this situation.   I
have silicone brake fluid and the brake light switch that came on the car
lasted the longest but I have gone through a number of switches since.  I
now have an electrical switch on the brake pedal in series with the
hydraulic switch.

        One problem I noted with the hydraulic brake light switch; it takes
time to build pressure to actuate the switch.   I found and installed a low
pressure switch which worked great for about 1 year, then it crapped out.
The electrical switch is almost instantaneous; I think that is safer, it was
also necessary when I installed cruise control.

        The root cause of the brake light switch failure is unclear.   It
seems to happen more often with silicone brake fluid.   Is it the silicone
brake fluid?   Is it poor quality switches?   Is it dirt or contaminates in
the brake system?
Is it something else?

Ron Fraser