Re: Brake light switch

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake light switch
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:26:24 -0700
  Just curious, has anyone ever taken the brake light switch apart? Does the
switch work "in the fluid" or is there a seal and the contacts are dry? If
it is a wet type of switch perhaps the effects of arcing change the
properties of the silicone fluid either by gelling it or the silicone leaves
an insulating residue on the contacts.

  I moved the location of my switch and if memory serves me correctly it
originally came out the side of the splitter (???). If that is the case
perhaps making sure the contacts are going front/back rather than up/down
would lengthen the time debris could accumulate before reaching the contact
points (assuming debris could be an issue).  Like this  . .    not this   :

  In my case I went to a Datsun MC and that left an open connection in the
splitter. Though I eventually want to go with a mechanical switch I
temporarily installed the hydraulic switch so that it angles downward and is
self draining. Sorry, but 6+ years on jackstands doesn't allow for any
feedback to see if that placement offers any benefits, but in theory it
sounds good..
Tom Witt