Re: Brake light switch

To: arado7@sbcglobal.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake light switch
From: JHMEARSRN@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:28:14 EDT
In a message dated 9/12/06 12:09:12 PM, arado7@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< It's a mixed bag. I have been running with Dot 5 silicon since 1985 and
have

 had no stop switch problems...Original Rootes part.    The Brake booster

still

 works too >>

Gary, you might be on borrowed time on that brake system.  I changed over to
silicone
fluid in 1980 or 81.   They were great until about 3 years ago when master
cylinder
wouldn't pump up.  I took it off and checked it out.  The seals had turned to
mush, almost tarry consistency.   I then pulled off the booster, dismantled
it per
shop manual instructions, and found the seals turned to a substance that felt
like
biscuit dough, not rubber.   I then took apart the wheel calipers and wheel
cylinders
and found them not so bad.   I rebuilt the whole kaboodle with new kits and
stayed
with silicone, now working great.   The nice thing was the inside of all the
components
were still like new with absolutely no rust or crud particles in the fluid
after
all those years with silicone...............
John Mears
9471072