Re: Timing

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:24:21 -0800
>From personal experience I have noted two difficulties (at times) when using
an asortment of softer springs to bring in the advance quicker:

1. The softer springs "can" (I'm not saying they always do) cause the
weights to swing out furthur in the slot than in a stock configuration
during idle. Assuming no other adjustments this raises the initial advance.
When one elects to compensate and lowers the advance back to the typical
setting it effectively lowers the total advance unless the slots are
enlarged.

2. In at least one situation the advance springs I attempted to use were so
light the tension from the points riding on the cam caused the timing to
bounce around as they fought with each other.

Since I am cheap and typically swap from a pile of springs I have, my
experience is more R&D than buying ready made springs that might not exibit
the difficulties I have encountered.

Ideally a mapable curve would be best. I owned a number of late 80's turbo
cars and (according to the advertizements) simply changing the ignition
curves potentially added 25% more HP (about 50 HP on a 200 HP motor).

Tom Witt