RE: Timing

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Timing
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 15:26:26 -0500
Ford distributor history or trivia if you like.

        There are 2 styles of distributor; early and late.   The change
happened in 1965.

The distributor picture in the Shop Manual is the early style.
http://www.tigersunited.com/resources/wsm/wsmB73.asp

        The early style cam plate has advance slots down the center of the
cam plate.  This is also a high wear area for this style distributor.   I
had to fix one of these cam plates a couple years ago, the initial timing
was always changing because one slot and one weight pin were worn and
hanging up.   The only way to fix one of these worn cam plates is to weld
it, then machine the slot back to size.   This cam plate has one number
stamped into it and both slots are the same length.

        The cam plate on the later style has the advance slot at the outer
edge of the plate and each slot is a different length and each is marked
with a different number.

        You can visually tell the difference between the early and later
style by looking at the casting just above the clamp point at the engine.
The early style is round, the later style is tri lobe in shape.

        Getting the timing curve set right is a challenge especially when
you have to do the work on the engine.   Most of us do not have a
distributor test machine available so it can get frustrating.   You just
need to get it to where you enjoy the drive and don't have to work on it
anymore.

Ron Fraser