RE: Timing

To: "'Ronak, TP (Timothy)'" <Timothy.Ronak@crna.akzonobel.com>,
Subject: RE: Timing
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:25:25 -0500
Tim Wrote

I have not had the stock distributor apart so I can not tell you the actual
steps to limit the advance but it usually requires welding up the slot to
limit the total travel. After you adjust the Total timing and then the rate
the curve comes in THEN work on the vacuum advance but it will be limited to
the amount in the distributor in this case only around 22-24 available but
most driving ... at part throttle cruise ... involves opening the
butterflies a little and it will most always be less vacuum than at idle or
when coasting down hill under deceleration load with the throttle blades
fully closed.

        The later style Ford distributor has 2 different length slots on the
cam plate and they are both numbered.    If you need to limit the advance
the first thing to check is that the tang with the rubber bumper is in the
slot with the lowest number.   You have to disassemble the distributor to
see these parts and the numbers on the cam plate.

        To reduce the advance welding the slot is probably the best long
term solution, however you might be able to make a slight adjustment by
moving the stop tang, the one with the rubber bumper.

Here is an article about welding the slot.

http://www.phoenixcmr.com/tech_article_frame.htm

Ron Fraser