RE: Pumping Gas

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pumping Gas
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:27:29 -0400
This all reminds me of a minor fueling disaster I had a couple years
back.  We were taking the marching band down to the Baltimore area for a
weekend competition.  A friend was driving the 24' Budget renter as we
pulled in to fuel somewhere in NJ, well after midnight.  He got out to
see about fueling while I checked the maps, etc, and prepared to take
over the driving.

After a couple minutes I climbed down and walked around to the driver's
side where the tank was.  THUNK went the nozzle, as it shut down.   The
attendant was on the other side of the island dealing with some big
Kenworth.   The tank never fills that quickly when I do it, so I grabbed
the nozzle and restarted the flow. In about half a second a surge of
fuel shot out of the tank, all over me.  It seems these were high volume
pumps, flowing much faster than the civilian models we are used to at
home.  I washed myself off as best I could, but that unmistakable diesel
fragrance persisted in the cab for the rest of the trip.  Thankfully the
hotel had some large plastic bags available to store my oily clothes in.

Stu